Country Representative, Cameroon and Chad
Catholic Relief Services - Yaoundé, Centre
Offre d'emploi fermée
Job Title: Country Representative -- Cameroon & Chad
Job Type: Regular, Full Time
Reports To: Regional Director - CARO
Job Location: Yaoundé, Cameroon
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS\u0027 relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
CRS has been working in Cameroon since 1961, with the main office in the capital Yaoundé and four field offices in East Cameroon (Batouri), Far North (Maroua and Kousseri) and the Northwest (Bamenda). The current portfolio is largely health-oriented - with a large OVC program funded by USAID in the Littoral, Northwest and Central regions - and Emergency Response and Recovery programming that focuses on livelihood recovery, protection, emergency food and non-food items assistance to conflicted-affected households in the Northwest, Far North and the East. CRS Cameroon actively collaborates with other CRS and partner programs in the greater Lake Chad Basin, and in neighboring Central African Republic to design and implement relevant cross-border programs and services. CRS Cameroon also works closely with church and other local partners to implement these projects and build organizational capacity of partner organizations.
CRS has been supporting activities in Chad since 1985 and opened a program office in 2002. Livelihoods and social cohesion comprise over 52% of Chad programming with projects funded by external donors and CRS discretionary resources. These programs assist households with agricultural inputs and financial education through CRS SILC approach to rebuild their livelihoods and strengthen cohesion among Lake Chad Basin area and the South. CRS supports child community protection programs in the southern Chad region, primarily funded by UNICEF. The main CRS Chad office is in the capital city of N\u0027Djamena, and a base office in the Lac Region.
As Country Representative you will lead, manage and advance the programming and operations objectives and the mission of Catholic Relief Services (CRS) to serve the poor and vulnerable. Your strategic leadership will enable you to advance CRS\u0027 reputation and impact while you proactively manage security and mitigate security risks and liabilities.
- Champion and lead the vision, mission and strategy. Lead the design of medium and long-term goals. Ensure program and operations leads coordinate their objectives in alignment with the strategy.
- Ensure that all projects meet and exceed donor expectations and are designed and implemented for maximum impact and reach. Ensure the CRS program quality standards are adhered to per MEAL policy and procedures.
- Effectively manage senior programming and operations talent and supervise. Manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Provide coaching and mentoring for HOP and Head of Operations. Strategically tailor individual development plans and complete performance assessments for direct reports. Oversee the development of staffing plans for large and complex projects and the recruitment process of senior staff.
- Lead the development of strategic partnerships with national and international organizations that leverages resources, reputation, and expertise in line with CRS partnership principles. Ensure strong representation to key stakeholders, including Church partners, local and national government, US government and international donors.
- Manage and mitigate risk through monitoring national and regional issues that may impact staff and programming. Ensure all staff understand and adhere to CRS staff safety and security policies and plans, and ensure the updating of such plans.
- Promote, uphold and model a commitment to the efficient use of agency and donor resources. Ensure compliance in operations functions. Provide oversight and analysis regarding monthly expenditures.
- Lead and direct the pursuit of strategic growth opportunities, prepositioning and capture planning.
- Create and maintain proper conditions for learning. Establish a safe environment for sharing of ideas, solutions, and difficulties and the capacity to detect, analyze and respond quickly to deficiencies. Promote accountability, learning and knowledge management overseeing application of the MEAL policy, as well as cross-sectoral and cross-department learning.
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
- Masters degree in International Development, International Relations or a related field.
- 10 or more years\u0027 experience managing complex relief and development programs.
- Demonstrated experience successfully managing a variety of complex, high-value projects from multiple international donors, including USAID and UN agencies; understanding of relevant donor regulations. Familiarity with KFW as a donor, a plus.
- Experience engaging partners and strengthening partnerships. Experience working with Church partners a plus.
- Staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment. Experience coaching and mentoring senior program staff.
- Ability to represent the agency at high levels.
- Experience in MS Office package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio), Web Conferencing Applications, and information and budget management systems.
- Excellent strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
- Excellent relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Team leadership abilities with diverse/multi-disciplinary teams. Coaching/mentoring skills.
- Strong communications and presentation skills; able to develop tailored and persuasive messaging for varied audiences.
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented.
Required/Desired Foreign Languages English and French
Travel Required 40% in-country (Cameroon and Chad) travel with occasional trips outside the
Key Working Relationships:
Supervisory Head of Program (HOP), Head of Operations (HOOPs), Chief of Party (COP) -- PEPFAR, Head of Office in Chad
Internal Regional Office and headquarters staff, other CRS colleagues, as applicable
External Host country government officials at all levels, Catholic Church leadership, donors, heads of international agencies, partners, etc.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
- **Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS\u0027 processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS\u0027 talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer