Req Number: I4641 Job Title:
Program Manager Emergency Response, Cameroon Location:
Cameroon/Yaounde Position Status:
Temporary Position Type:
Job Description:Position Title:
Program Manager Emergency Response Location:
Yaounde, Cameroon Region:
Central Africa (CARO) Reports To:
Emergency Response and Recovery (ERR) Programme Coordinator Length of Assignment:
Note: This position is contingent on funding About CRS
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS' relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding. Background:
Violence between Anglophone separatists and government forces in the Northwest (NWR) and Southwest (SWR) Regions of Cameroon has heavily affected civilian populations and forced the displacement of more than 246,000 Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in the SWR and 105,000 IDPs in the NWR. Displacement has been widespread and thousands more people have fled the regions to cities in Francophone regions, including Bafoussam (West Region), Douala (Littoral Region), and Yaoundé (Centre Region). CRS seeks to provide urgent food and non-food needs to affected populations, and strengthen local partner capacity to deliver high-quality humanitarian assistance. Primary Responsibilities:
The Program Manager (PM) will manage a market-based food and non-food resonse to affected populations. This will include food assistance and the distribution of NFI supplies via e-vouchers in Bamenda and Santa, NWR. The PM will also support CRS' pilot program in Bamenda using the same methodology. This role includes identifying needs and securing technical and managerial capacity-building for partner organizations, ensuring program advancement, and ensuring documentation of program progress and outcomes. Specific Responsibilities: Manage the market-based response program
- Ensure that activities are appropriately planned, prepared for and implemented.
- Ensure the collection and analysis of accurate market data (quantitative and qualitative), to be used in decision-making for improved program performance.
- Ensure quality budget management
- Organize meetings for critical thinking and learning to guide decision-making and action, as appropriate.
- Advise Head of Programs and HRD TAs on any changes or challenges in program
- Represent CRS in cluster meetings.
- Serve as primary contact person with implementing partners to identify major areas for capacity strengthening and compliance with CRS and donor requirements.
- Ensure the identification, documentation, sharing and adoption of best practices and lessons learned.
- Provide inputs to a written case study, specifically about market support activities, by the end of the program.
Mentoring and Supervision
- Ensure active participation of beneficiaries and other stakeholders in program activities.
- Ensure transparent and effective targeting of project participants based on clear criteria and participatory methods.
- Manage an effective mechanism for collecting and responding to feedback from the communities and project participants.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
- Ensure quality supervision and training of staf who are engaged in market support activities.
These are rooted in the mission, values, and principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
* Continuous Improvement & Innovation
* Builds Relationships
* Develops Talent
* Strategic Mindset
* Accountability & Stewardship Program Manager Competencies:
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Sets clear goals and manages toward them.
- Collaborates effectively with staff and stakeholders.
- Manages financial resources with integrity.
- Applies program quality standards to project design and organizational learning.
These are rooted in the mission, values, and principles of CRS and used by each staff working in emergencies to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
- Communicates strategically under pressure
- Manages stress and complexity
- Actively promotes safety and security
- Manages and implements high-quality emergency programs
Manage staff working in Bamenda. Key Working Relationships: Internal:
Head of Programming/Yaounde, Emergency Response and Recovery/Yaounde, MEAL Coordinator/Yaounde and other Technical Advisors/Managers, HRD Emergency amrkets TAs External:
Caritas Bamenda and the Justice for Peace Commission (JPC); Cash and markets staff from other INGOs; Cash cluster representatives. Qualifications:
- Master's degree in development, economics or related studies. Additional experience may substitute for some education.
- At least 2 years of professional experience implementing cash or market-based programs.
- Demonstrated skills in cash and markets programs related to emergency programs.
- Familiarity with Sphere standards
- Knowledge of CRS and/ or demonstrated ability to manage partnership with Caritas
- Ability and proven experience transferring knowledge through formal and informal training.
- Experience managing staff, budgets and planning processes
- Excellent writing, editing and publication skills, including photography and videography.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills.
- Team-oriented and strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong group process design and facilitation skills.
- Flexibility and ability to motivate.
The position is based in Yaounde, Cameroon, with frequent travel to the Northwest Region Foreign Language Required:
Excellent English oral and written communication skills required. Working level of French is highly preferred. What we offer
CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, vision, generous retirement savings plan and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS' processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation. Disclaimer:
This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS' talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation. EOE/M/F/D/V -
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. (For all US and International positions)