The Technical Advisor (TA) provides assistance to MTaPS Country Director and Senior Technical Advisors in technical activities focusing on GHSA interventions in improving infection prevention and control (IPC), water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH), and antimicrobial stewardship (AMS).
S/he supports in-country teams in the design and implementation of technical activities ensuring their adequate contribution to MTaPS results. The TA is also responsible for the implementation and evaluation of those designated field activities such as deployment of tools or implementation of facility and community based interventions.
Under guidance from senior staff, s/he provides support to program quality reviews, activity reporting, and knowledge management activities. As required, other areas of work may include activities aimed at strengthening pharmaceutical systems, supply chain management or pharmaceutical services in developing countries.
Technical Support (40%)
- Participate in the coordination, design and implementation of technical assistance in support of MTaPS GHSA/IPC/WASH/AMS in the country
- Conduct desk-based and/or field based research and technical assistance activities including delivery of reports, papers, and training as designated by senior technical staff.
- Participate in the design and implementation of GHSA/IPC/AMS field assessment activities including the development of tools and implementation of data analysis plans; also assist in data interpretation and technical activity reporting.
- Support country activities under the guidance from the CPD and STA and in collaboration with the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Unit, in the development and implementation of portfolio specific M&E plans.
- Participate in the review of designated program documentation and activity products ensuring quality of program deliverables.
- Participate in the development of communication materials, presentations, articles, concept papers, abstracts and posters in the context of knowledge management and participate in the presentation of these products to various audiences and forums.
- Provide writing and analytical assistance as needed to produce special thematic reports and/or technical briefs documents aimed for publication.
- Attend technical and brown bag informational meetings when required and prepare related briefs for senior technical staff. Also, work occasionally with senior technical staff for developing MSH proposals and new assistance projects as needed.
Capacity Building (40%)
- Participate in human resource capacity assessments in the pharmaceutical sector and collaborate internally and externally to develop country-specific capacity building material, strategies and roll out plans.
- Assist in the design and review, policies, standards, guidelines, procedures and other relevant materials related
- Participate in the planning and delivery of Pharmaceutical system strengthening programs aimed at building the capacity of department of health, national programs, drug regulatory authority, other pharmaceutical cadres and training institutions.
- Collaborate with stakeholders for the development, deployment and implementation of appropriate tools necessary to improve pharmaceutical management information systems and their appropriate use for decision making.
Monitoring & Evaluation (20%)
- In coordination with the M&E team, support project for the establishment of mechanisms for collecting relevant data to their established indicators. Also participate in program review activities and provide adequate recommendations.
- Support project staff in the adequate documentation and dissemination of program results and lessons learned including the development and submission of abstracts and articles to scientific journals and conferences.
- 6 years of experience with a Bachelor degree, 4 years of experience with a Master
- Experience in international public health with a focus on strengthening health and/or pharmaceutical systems in developing countries.
- Specialized training and/or practical experience related to infection control, including at the health facility level, and other areas of AMR containment such as WASH and antimicrobial stewardship.
- Experience with programs supported by bilateral agencies such as USAID, CDC and international agencies such as the Global Fund, UNITAID, WHO and World Bank preferred.
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation of public health projects, knowledge management, and program communication and dissemination
Knowlege, Skills, and Competencies
- Ability to write lucid technical reports and documents and to make presentations in French is required. English is also preferable.
- Competence in use of word processing programs required, and experience with spreadsheets and database applications strongly preferred.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills in English are essential
- Proficiency in English and any other languages of other USAID-supported countries is desired.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously; excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a team spirit.
- Ability to work independently and in team
- Good judgment for decision making.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability in consensus building and constructively leading a team.
Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Since its founding in 1971, MSH has worked in over 150 countries with policy makers, health professionals, and health care consumers to improve the quality, availability and affordability of health services. Working with governments, donors, non governmental organizations, the private sector, and health agencies, MSH responds to priority health problems such as HIV & AIDS; tuberculosis; malaria; maternal, newborn and child health; family planning and reproductive health; and chronic non-communicable diseases such as cancer, diabetes, and lung and heart disease. Through strengthening capacity, investing in health systems innovation, building the evidence base, and advocating for sound public health policy, MSH is committed to making a lasting difference in global health.
Management Sciences for Health is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or veteran status.
Senior Technical Advisor