Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries. Job Description
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (casual)
Department & Location
Administration Department, Global Fund Yaounde
Reports to (position):
Project Manager / Administrative Coordinator.
Purpose: How does this post support Plan’s strategy and mission? Dimensions of Role: Procurement, logistic and administrative support to the project team.
To ensure effective and efficient coordination of procurement, contract, hotel booking process, fixed asset follow-up and office related activities towards implementation of the country’s program.
Area of Responsibility (Location): Global Fund Yaounde Typical Responsibilities - Key End Results of Position: “What” is done and “why”, but not “how”; include indicators for success
- Give support for the procurement, logistic, fleet and administration management for the project as per the Operational Manual (OM), local procedures and policies to ensure value for money is obtained at all times;
- Prepares Offers for Bids in accordance with the bidding guidelines;
- Prepare regular requisitions for repairs and maintenance of vehicles, distribution of supplies, equipment and fixed asset as well as other clerical and administrative services such as security services, office & housekeeping, etc. ...;
- Ensure that all the procurement activities processed are capture in SAP,
- Ensure the effective management of store to ensure the effective implementation of program activities with no reports or incidents on mismanagement of store;
- Provide the project support in warehousing and other logistical support;
Dealing with Problems: Complexity of problems handled & the degree of investigation, analysis, & creative thinking required to solve them
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned from time to time to support the attainment of organizational goals.
Communications and Working Relationships: Working contacts inside and outside the organization; include the purpose and level (high, medium, low) of the contact
- Understands administrative requirements as per the OM and other policies and procedures and provides required services to staff,
- Exhibit a good sense of judgment and responsibility in the performance of duties,
- Works with minimum supervision,
- Refers all final decision making to the supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills, Behaviors, and Experience Required to Achieve Role’s Objectives: Gained through education, training, & experience Qualification and Experience
- Keeps and maintain a high contact with contractors, service providers and suppliers for the provision of goods, material, equipments, utilities repairs and maintenance that would ensure Plan receives value for money,
- Maintains a high contact with all PU staff to receive and process requests for administrative services,
- Maintains medium contact with staff of others Program Unit staff to offer support, information, influence and or reasoning with regards to administration related issues.
- University Degree or Two years University Certificate (e.i BTS- DEUG) in Business Administration, Logistic, Law, Management,
Demonstrated behaviors needed by the post-holder to successfully perform the role:
- Minimum two years’ experience of purchasing, fleet management, maintaining inventories and materials,
- Computer skills,
- Ability to use general office equipment such photocopiers, printers etc...
- Experience working with an international NGO would be an advantage
- Have knowledge of behavior and people habit of the target area might be an added value.
Skills Specific to the post needed to put knowledge into practice.
- Planning and organizing abilities,
- Timeliness and proactive in the execution of duties,
- Ability to inter-act with staff, visitors and partners at all levels,
- Communicates in a manner that inspires confidence and professionalism,
- High sense of judgment and responsibility,
- High sense of integrity,
- High safety awareness level of area of operation,
- Good team player.
Physical Environment and Demands: Travel requirements
- Good communication and ICT skills,
- Good inter-personal skills,
- Good client/customer relations,
- Good writing and reporting skills,
- Good negotiation skills,
- Strong team player,
- High level of discretion,
- Planning & organizing.
This position requires 40% of travel time within the project implementation area 60% of the time on office related activities. Level of Contact with Children: Low contact: No contact or very low frequency of interaction Mid contact: Occasional interaction with children High level: Frequent interaction with children
Low contact- the job responsibilities of this position does not require the post holder to have any one-to-one contact with children on a daily basis. There would be occasional contact with children and it is expected that children shall be protected at all times. Location: Yaounde Closing Date: 20th january 2020 Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early. A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with Plan International's Safeguarding Children and Young People policy. As an international child centred community development organisation, Plan International is fully committed to promoting the realisation of children's rights including their right to protection from violence and abuse. That means we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with. Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. We must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk. Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the very heart of everything that Plan International stands for. Our organisation is based on a culture of inclusivity and we strive to create a workplace environment that ensures every team, in every office, in every country, is rich in diverse people, thoughts, and ideas. We will provide equality of opportunity and will not tolerate discrimination on any grounds. We foster an organisational culture that embraces and exemplifies our commitment to gender equality, girls’ rights and inclusion while supporting staff to adopt good practice, positive attitudes and principles of gender equality and inclusion.