Communication & Advocacy Officer
The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation - Yaoundé, Centre
Offre d'emploi fermée
Communication & Advocacy Officer
Job title: Communication & Advocacy Officer
Primary Manager: Country Director
Start Date: April 1, 2019
Applications Due: March 17, 2019
The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation is a global leader in the fight against pediatric HIV and AIDS, working in 19 countries and at over 5,500 sites around the world to prevent the transmission of HIV to children, and to help those already infected. Today, because of the highly successful work of the Foundation and its partners, pediatric AIDS has been virtually eliminated in the United States. With a growing global staff of over 1,000—nine of 10 who work in the field—the Foundation’s global mission is to implement HIV prevention, care, and treatment programs; further advance innovative research; and to execute strategic and targeted global advocacy activities to bring dramatic change to the lives of millions of women, children, and families worldwide. For more information, please, visit our page: www.pedaids.org .
EGPAF works in partnership with the Ministry of Health NACC and the Regional and District Health Teams to support HIV Prevention, Care and Treatment and health systems strengthening services. EGPAF is mainly funded by PEPFAR through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).
The communications and advocacy officer will provide leadership for advocacy and communications strategic priorities for the country program and in support of the Foundation mission. The person will work closely with programmatic colleagues to identify and address key implementation obstacles that need to be addressed and successes needing documentation from the field.
This position is responsible for the design, implementation and evaluation of communication and advocacy initiatives which leverage EGPAF’s technical expertise and credibility to position EGPAF as a leader in pediatric HIV and influence wider change.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
· Leverage EGPAF Cameroon’s programmatic and research experience and expertise to position EGPAF as a thought leader and implementer in ending AIDS in children.
· Effectively communicate EGPAF Cameroon’s work in program implementation, research and advocacy to various stakeholders and audiences.
· Position EGPAF as an effective influencer at various levels of key stakeholders and policies in reaching a generation free of HIV and in providing quality services to people affected by HIV, particularly children and adolescents.
· Document and disseminate EGPAF Cameroon’s stories of success and beneficiary perspectives through various platforms to provide the human perspectives of the Foundation’s work.
· Engage with journalists at national and district level to build their awareness on the Foundation’s mission and to have them document more stories on pediatric HIV and EGPAF Cameroon’s programs.
· Management of the EGPAF advocacy and communication outcomes
· Lead the development of EGPAF Cameroon’s communication and advocacy strategies and work plans and budgets, tied to specific project goals and deliverables.
· Lead the implementation of EGPAF Cameroon’s communications and advocacy activities in collaboration with the EGPAF program team and reporting as required
· Collaborate with the community linkages team to identify story ideas and advocacy issues.
· Closely collaborate with EGPAF’s External Affairs and Global Public Policy and Advocacy to drive EGPAF’s work regionally and globally.
2. Documentation and writing for communications and advocacy
· Lead the identification and documentation of EGPAF success stories, visibility materials and project and program achievements in close collaboration with knowledge management team.
· Lead the conceptualization and development of EGPAF’s annual report including gathering of stories and photo assets.
· Lead the development of communication and advocacy messages and materials and build the capacity of EGPAF staff to effectively use the materials.
· Digital communications/New Media – Liaising with HQ to maximize EGPAF Cameroon’s work and expertise exposure through FB, twitter, blog and other new media
· Ensure that EGPAF and donor branding and marking guidelines are adhered to and facilitate requisite processes for approvals
3. Strategic consultation, coordination and support for advocacy and communications for project teams
· Work with the programme teams to identify and address key communication and advocacy issues arising from the programs and develop appropriate interventions to address them
· Participates in technical committees, strategic advocacy initiatives and civil society networks as appropriate including Ministry of Health platforms
· Provide counsel and support to senior leadership for strategic national and international meetings that require talking points, key messages etc. to ensure appropriate EGPAF representation
· Working with HQ and regional Communications team to prepare EGPAF leadership and other spokespersons for media interviews and/or presentations including media and site briefs, speeches or talking points for EGPAF staff as appropriate.
4: Stakeholder engagement and partnership building
· Identify and guide external opportunities for strategic engagement to advance EGPAF’s advocacy priorities in country
· Initiate and maintain partnerships and networks with stakeholder and influencers.
· Represents the EGPAF Cameroon program to key meetings or forums with stakeholders, partners and allies, donor agencies, government bodies among others
· Collaborates with implementation and civil society partners in organizing and managing meetings and events (with national, regional and District officials, including Members of Parliament) with a view to advancing the Foundation’s agenda
· Manages partnership with other CSOs related to communication and advocacy
5: Media relations
· Identify and nurture relations with various media with a view to getting high quality coverage of EGPAF Cameroon’s work and expert opinion in support of the Foundation mission
· Increase awareness among the Cameroon media on HIV/AIDS broadly with a view to expanding media coverage of pediatric AIDS and prevention issues
· Develop and distribute press releases, media advisories, fact sheets and other appropriate materials to support media coverage of Foundation and partner activities.
· Establish and maintain relationships with USG Cameroon and other donors/ partners /media officers and coordinate and support media activities as appropriate.
Qualifications and Experience
· Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences, postgraduate in public policy, communications or related field will be advantageous
· At least five years of experience and demonstrated success in media and communication initiatives and doing advocacy to support a cause and build organizational reputation based on commitment to mission and results
· Excellent communication skills both to tell a story as well as influence change
· Sound understanding of how both traditional and new media works
Essential Skills and Knowledge
· Ability to identify and communicate with key stakeholders including policy makers with a view support an enabling environment in support of our mission.
· A strong communicator, facilitator, collaborator, and coordinator with outstanding interpersonal skills; must have credibility, good judgment, honesty and integrity.
· A team player who can skillfully coordinate activities with senior management, project directors, and staff, and who has the sensitivity and interpersonal skills to work cooperatively with a group of diverse personalities.
· Able to manage a high volume of tasks and being adept at planning, prioritizing, organizing, and following through.
· Decisive, independent, and resourceful with the ability to anticipate and act on events and opportunities in an appropriate and thoughtful manner.
· Demonstrated history of successfully building critical, long term, engaging relationships with stakeholders and relevant partners
· Interest in HIV/AIDS and health issues and a strong, personal commitment to the overall mission of The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation
· Experience in working with International NGOs
· Team Building – Team building is a person’s ability to inspire and foster team commitment, spirit, pride, and trust. He/she also facilitates cooperation and motivates team members to accomplish group goals.
· Customer Service – Customer service is a person’s ability to anticipate and meet the needs of internal and external customers while delivering high-quality products and services and being committed to continuous improvement.
· Decisiveness – Decisiveness is a person’s ability to make well-informed, effective, and timely decisions, even when data is limited or solutions produce unpleasant consequences. He/she will also perceive the impact and implications of decisions
Desirable Skills and Knowledge
· Excellent interpersonal skills, and high levels of self motivation, integrity and initiative
· Good computer skills in Word, Excel and PowerPoint
· Experience of working with a wide range of stakeholders, with proven ability to provide support to communication and education initiatives
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit a CV and cover letter through the following link: https://chj.tbe.taleo.net/chj05/ats/careers/searchResults.jsp?org=PEDAIDS&cws=1
Screening of applications will be on a rolling basis. Please note that only shortlisted applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.
Applications are only acceptable through the above link.
This position is subject to donor funding.
The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, EGPAF complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the Foundation has facilities.