Senior Social Protection Specialist / Senior Economist
Job #: req5775
Organization: World Bank
Sector: Social Protection
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Required Language(s): English, French
Closing Date: 2/10/2020 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
We are on a mission to change the world; do you want to join us where it matters the most? Invest in your personal and professional development and acquire the skills that are vital for a global career in international development. A role in an FCS (Fragile and Conflict Affected Situations) location will be a truly impactful experience!
Fragility Conflict and Violence: https://www.worldbank.org/en/topic/fragilityconflictviolence
Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. Visit www.worldbank.org.
The Social Protection and Jobs Global Practice:
The Social Protection & Jobs (SPJ) Global Practice (GP) delivers operational approaches and evidence-based solutions to help individuals and families manage risk, cope with chronic/transitional poverty, and access better livelihoods and jobs.
World Bank Group Social Protection & Jobs Global Practice: https://socialprotection.org/connect/stakeholders/world-bank-group-social-protection-jobs-global-practice
The Social Protection and Jobs (SP&J) Global Practice has a large and growing portfolio in West and Southern Africa, which includes long-standing engagements supporting Governments to strengthen their safety net programs as well as promoting innovations around jobs and, increasingly human capital investments. The program spans from middle-income countries to low-income, and post-conflict fragile states.
The successful candidate would lead/co-lead the social protection engagement in Cameroon, focusing specifically on the ongoing safety net programs and issues of refugees and IDPs, the emerging work in the areas of jobs and youth employment, and policy-related work across the sector with a view to moving into policy lending operations.
The World Bank Younde Cameroon : https://www.worldbank.org/en/country/cameroon
Based in the Younde WB Country Office, s/he will be a core member of the SP&J team covering Cameroon. S/he will be responsible for the successful day-to-day delivery of the overall SP&J programming efforts, as well as leading the dialogue with counterparts as with the CMU as appropriate.
S/he will be a member of the West and Southern Africa unit of the Social Protection and Jobs GP and report to the Practice Manager for the unit. The position will involve frequent interaction with government counterparts, other donor agencies, and counterparts within SPJ and HD, as well as across other units of the World Bank.
DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
The Senior Social Protection Specialist/Senior Economist will work as a part of the Social Protection and Jobs team(s) that is leading the engagement in Cameroon. The primary objective of the position is to support the Cameroon Safety Nets Project, as well as the analytical work in the sector more broadly, as well as co-lead or lead other potential projects, as well as playing a leading role in advancing the dialogue with the Government on social protection systems more generally. The candidate may also work on other country programs and regional work. Major responsibilities include:
• Support the safety net operation currently
• Lead high-level policy
dialogue on social protection, refugees, IDPs, youth and jobs, with a
particular focus on the responsible agencies and line Ministries, Ministries of
Finance, and key sector ministries as needed.
• Ensure high quality
implementation support to the Government implementation team and oversight of
risk management issues working with relevant safeguards experts.
• Oversee overall program
supervision activities for the ongoing SPJ operations, including financial management,
procurement and trust fund management.
• Develop and support new
business areas of engagement, including but not limited to the anticipated
follow-on project on the jobs agenda.
• Ensure strong coordination and
teamwork within the SPJ program and in particular liaising across Global
Practices to support joint programming and analytical activities to strengthen
program delivery and to promote common outcomes, such as the Human Capital
• Lead analytical and advisory
service (ASA) efforts in the areas of social protection system building, jobs
and pensions, working especially across other Global Practices.
• Promote strong team leadership
within the overall SP&J team(s), participating in team leadership discussions
and planning on a regular basis.
• Manage trust fund resources
with a view to cost effective programming to achieve policy and program
• Contribute to the global
knowledge base of the Social Protection & Jobs GP and other country
programs, as agreed with the Practice Manager.
• Graduate degree and minimum of masters level qualification in economics, social policy or related sector
• Minimum of eight years of directly relevant experience in social protection and/or safety nets. Experience and substantive skills in social protection policy
• Experience in World Bank operations as demonstrated through TTL-ship and/or being core team member for lending operations.
• Experience with large scale, multi-sectoral social protection programming
• Demonstrated international experience, including within low capacity environments
• Experience working with clients to build capacity and engage in dialogue on social protection and service delivery
•Experience working with multiple development partners to harmonize support for Government-led programming. Technical Ability
• Experience in leading analytical and technical assistance activities designed to support the development and strengthening of social protection programs
• Proven ability to carry-out independent policy-relevant research, translate theory into practical applications, and adapt professional knowledge and technical skills to analyse, diagnose and propose solutions to policy issues and challenges
• Knowledge of social safeguards policies of the World Bank within the context of a SP&L program
• Knowledge of WB financing instruments and operational procedures. Client Orientation
• Strong engagement and policy dialogue skills with high-level counterparts and other stakeholders; client focused with an ability to provide prompt and high quality responses
• Ability to maintain client relationships in the face of conflicting demands or directions and provides evidence-based advice and solutions based on sound diagnosis and knowledge.
• Ability to advise, influence and promote consensus among different stakeholders
• Experience in managing diverse and sometimes competing interests and perspectives to arrive at consensus Team Leadership, Collaboration, and Inclusion
• Demonstrated ability to lead teams. Excellent interpersonal skills, with proven ability to work in a team and intercultural environment, with minimal supervision
• Proven track record of multi-tasking, managing competing demands and effectively time-manage tasks
• Proven ability to identify and develop new and creative partnerships with a wide variety of agencies and organisations
• Ability to work in a collaborative way, delivering cross-support and building relationships around a common goal Communication
• Evidence of strong interpersonal skills, judgement.
• Evidence of sharing and conveying complex technical issues, in accessible format: written, spoken.
• Native or near-native proficiency in written English.
In addition to the above, the successful candidate is expected to demonstrate the following competencies: For information about WBG Core Competencies, please visit: https://bit.ly/2kbIA7O
has no borders, neither does excellence. We succeed because of our differences
and we continuously search for qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds
from around the globe.