Finance Associate SC6
World Food Programme - Yaoundé, Centre
Offre d'emploi fermée
Terms of Reference
Post Title: Finance Associate
Duration: 12 months
Contract Type: Service Contract sc6
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
JOB PURPOSE: To coordinate and provide finance, budget and administration support services involving the recording and interpretation of financial and budgetary information to ensure the efficient functioning of the support services and inform decision making.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive, within delegated authority):
Under the direct supervision of the Aviation Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Provide the procedural and technical support to staff within the areas of finance and budget, to ensure compliance with WFP financial policies, rules and regulations.
- Support the development and implementation of financial policies and procedures and assist in setup and implementation of proper accounting procedures, systems and internal controls.
- Monitor the daily cash position in order to optimize the use of surplus cash and maximize returns on investment through the liquidity portfolio.
- Monitor the centralised registry system in order to process all payments to internal staff and invoices to external suppliers in a timely manner and in accordance with WFP standards.
- Contribute to the preparation, implementation and monitoring of budgets, monitor expenditure and budget forecasts, to ensure that relevant future funding requirements are met.
- Co-ordinate with other teams in order to ensure that all financial and administrative services are being performed efficiently and in line with the needs of the wider team.
- Monitor account balances and process financial transactions in an accurate and timely manner, to avoid the occurrence of an overdraft.
- Monitor and analyse general ledger accounts in order to initiate and achieve corrective actions.
- Compile data from the WFP database and systems in order to assist in generating and analysing financial reports on a monthly basis.
- Allocate tasks to other support staff, provide guidance and on-the-job training in management of financial resources (e.g. managing the petty cash/sub-imprest account, review and analyse vendor and balance sheet accounts, etc.), to ensure services are delivered consistently and to the required standards.
- Remain on stand-by and follow standard emergency preparedness practices in order to meet immediate emergency requirements for further service on the job and in the field.
- Perform any other related duty as may be required by WFP Management.
4Ps Core Organizational Capabilities:
Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
Understand and communicate the
Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
Be a force for positive change
Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
Make the mission inspiring to our team
Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
Make our mission visible in everyday actions
Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
Look for ways to
Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
Create an inclusive culture
Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
Be a coach & provide constructive feedback
Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit
Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
Encourage innovation & creative solutions
Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
Focus on getting results
Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
Make commitments and make good on commitments
Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
Connect and share across WFP units
Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
Build strong external partnerships
Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
Be politically agile & adaptable
Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships
Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
Internal Controls & Compliance
Demonstrates basic knowledge of internal controls, risk management, and monitoring mechanisms and their applicability to WFP's critical activities.
Performance Budgeting, Analysis & Reporting
Demonstrates participation in business planning efforts by developing basic project-level budgets and forecasts, incorporating information from various sources as appropriate to monitor KPIs.
Demonstrates ability to track and compile reports on HQ and Field staffing and resource usage on a project-level basis.
Financial Mgmt. & Accounting Principles
Applies knowledge of financial and accounting principles and practices to ensure compliance with WFP policies, applicable procedures and accounting standards.
Supply Chain and Operations Knowledge
Demonstrates basic understanding of WFP programme, implementation, and supply chain principles (including project modalities & structures).
Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area.
Fluency (level C) in English and good working knowledge of French.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Has experience assessing financial health and stability of C&V projects and other programming initiatives to verify compliance with in-country local laws.
- Has experience working with auditors and other third-party vendors.
Female applicants are especially encouraged to apply.
Deadline for applications: 31/01/2020
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.